April 16, 2009

New York, New York

Please meet Nayeli, from Barnum Elementary, our second poet-athlete that will be flown to New York for the National Poetry Slam on Monday, April 20th.


Q: Tell us about your family and what makes them unique?
A:My family consists of my mom, dad, older sister Karla, and younger sister Anhaei. Our parents let us be who we are and support our uniqueness.

Q: What are your hobbies and interest?
A: I like to play soccer, I am into drama and art, and I like being creative. I really enjoy creative writing because it allows me to have my own style and I like being a little different. I love to dance and have been on my school's dance club for three years. I am also a good story teller.

Q: Tell us your favorite memory about SCORES.
A:
I love the Fall Jamboree and Spring Frenzy because we are all together as a team, cheering each other on. And of course, the poetry slam because I love to perform and every year we try to come up with a different performance. I was very proud of my team this year!

Q: Who inspires you and helps you? How?
A: My teacher, Ms. Olivas. She is always there for me, she believes in me, and really cares about me.

Q: What do you hope to do in New York?
A: Just enjoy every moment and meet new friends from across the country. And visit places that I probably would not have been able to see without this opportunity.

Q: Why do you love poetry?
A: I am able to be creative and there is no right or wrong way to express myself.

Q: What is your favorite subject?
A: writing and art

Q: What is your favorite food?
A: Steak, yum!

Q: What is your favorite book?
A: I have a ton of favorites, but I really enjoy A Child Called It.

Q: Who are your favorite poets?
A: Jack Pretlusky and Shel Silverstein

Q: Place to have fun or relax?
A: The beach or the amusement park.

No comments: