August 5, 2009

Theresa in Brazil!

Through a newly established relationship with the Partners of the Americas, Coaching Coaches, we were able to send one of our soccer coaches, Theresa from Cowell Elementary, on a week long all expense paid trip to Brazil to see how Brazilian youth soccer programs are conducted.

Through the next couple of weeks we will be updating the blog with Theresa's account of the trip, along with pictures she took.

"I am honored that I was chosen to represent the US and the program that I coach for, America SCORES Denver, in Brazil. This has been such a life-changing experience for me and I have met amazing people, people that will be my life long friends. I am inspired to do more, both at home in the US and internationally with at risk youth, especially the girls. I think it is extremely VITAL to help girls at a young age in at risk environments…where no one is there telling them that they are worth anything especially since girls are extremely vulnerable to societal pressures. In Brazil when boys are born they are given soccer balls and girls are given dolls and little kitchens. I believe that sports, connected with education, can help girls rise above their “societal norms.” Sports give girls skills that they can use both on and off the field and it can build up their self-esteem, their self-worth, provide them the skills to communicate, show them to not look at other girls as the enemy but as a teammate, give them the strength to persevere and not give up. These are skills that they can use in their education and in the business world and can give them the power to follow their dreams and not settle for less. And, at the same time, they have a coach, someone in their life, telling them that “they can” when everyone else is telling them they cannot. I am looking forward to the next Partners meeting to discuss what to do next with the coaching coaches program. I am looking forward to sharing my experience with my school and others throughout the community!


On Sunday we arrived in Belo Horizonte where Jose picked us up and took us back to his farm in Lavras where we were staying. All the food on the farm is made fresh and it is some of the best food I have ever eaten!

Later that night Lance (another participant from the US) and I were taken to a local soccer match where there is some amazing local talent! Afterwards we were invited to join the team for drinks and we sat around and talked and watched the Flamenco match. We all then back to Jose's farm were a roda da samba group played samba music in a circle and we ate paodequeziou, drank beer, and talked with the local Tenis club teachers". (Picture on the right is Lance and Theresa with the local soccer club)

No comments: