May 18, 2009

America SCORES Denver makes the news!

On page 7 in the April 30th issue of the Denver Hearld-Dispatch, Joshua Cole wrote a column about Nayeli Martinez's trip to New York. The article is below.

Barnum fifth grader reads winning poem in New York
By Joshua Cole

Barnum Elementary School fifth grader Nayeli Martinez read her poem I Will at the National Poetry Slam, April 20, for America SCORES Denver.

SCORES is a national program that combines after-school soccer with writing workshops to encourage leadership, teamwork and communication, providing services for more than 20 girls and boys in the Denver metro area.

"The SCORES program has had an enormous positive impact in our school, community and lives of our student," wrote Amy Olivas, Martinez's teacher. "It has become part of our school culture. As teachers we have observed a change in classroom behavior, and a drastic improvement in writing skills. Our students are English Language Learners who come from a very low socio-economic status. America SCORES is a phenomenal program for them. It has provided so many opportunities for our kids."

Martinez plays soccer, writes, makes art, performs drama and dances.

"I'm very creative," Martinez wrote. "I really enjoy creative writing, I have my own style and like being a little different. I like writing poetry because I can express me, and there isn't a wrong way or a right way."

Martinez is the middle of three girls in her family. She says that her parents support her and support her expressions.

She is a role model to all and is not afraid to take a risk and works hard at all she does," Olivas wrote. "Nayeli is that special kind of person that when she walks inside a room, it truly does light up. She just has this sparkle about her life."

'I Will'
By Nayeli Marquez

I will be a soccer ball, fast and strong.
I will run or fly to catch the net.

I will be a gorilla,
so clever I use my brain to catch my prey.

I will be a beat that never stops,
I will never give up.

I will be an artist, so creative,
I will use my hands for many things.

I will be President who gives hope for my team,
who makes them reach their dreams.

I will be a trophy that stands for
Intelligence, strength, and creativity.

I will be me.
Oh wait, I already am!

No comments: