May 20, 2009

Valdez Girls' Sestina poem

A sestina poem contains six six-line stanzas, where the same set of end words are used in a rolling pattern throughout the stanzas. The line pattern is below.

1 - ABCDEF
2 - FAEBDC
3 - CFDABE
4 - ECBFAD
5 - DEACFB
6 - BDFECA

Five girls from Valdez, Sheyla, Jessica, Ana, Griselda, and Angelia and their writing coach, Andrea wrote the below sestina after taking a walk around their community.

A - Ants
B - Trees
C - Clover
D - Grass
E - Murals
F - Sprinklers

I see small red ants.
Who gives us oxygen? The trees.
I like to see beautiful clovers.
Outside you see green grass.
There are beautiful murals.
To get the grass green we turn on the sprinklers.

Oh, I see sprinklers.
What's up ants!
I see a mural.
I see a big tree.
I like green grass.
I like four leaf clovers.

Always the cool things are clovers.
My yard has sprinklers.
In the park there is always grass.
The dirt has a lot of ants.
Some leaves are always on trees.
In our school there are murals.

There are beautiful murals.
Angelia loves clovers.
There were mostly big trees.
There were a lot of dirty sprinklers.
There were a bunch of red ants.
There was usually a little green grass.

The color of green is the color of grass.
I saw all kind of murals.
I hate ants.
I love clovers.
I saw sprinklers.
I hate small trees.

I saw an egret land on the trees.
He dropped an egg on the grass.
A man wearing a red shirt turned on the sprinklers.
The water poured all over our murals.
I made a necklace out of clovers.
Then I fed it to the ants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So cute!!

--Angela in Chicago