June 16, 2009

Valdez Team Reflection

The team at Valdez Elementary learned about pollution and had a presentation from Environmental Learning for Kids on "Who Polluted the South Platte River." The SCORES students learned how various types of trash can pollute the waterways. The students then walked around the South Platte River and picked up trash. They also started a pen pal relationship with one of the SCORES teams in LA.



A guy named Mr. Valdez came and told us how bad our community can become by just throwing trash everywhere. Then Mr. Valdez used a jar of water and we dumped different types of trash into the water to show how the South Platte River had become dirty. Another day we went down to the South Platte River to see what we could clean up. While we were down there we saw a guy on a huge bicycle! We found an open field at the bottom of a hill that had a bunch of trash strewn about. Some things that we found while cleaning up was shoes, a backpack, trash, bottles, and glass. When we were finished we were so proud to help clean up part of our community.
~ Griselda, Jessica, and Sheyla



South Platte River

Sweet smelling
Outstanding place
Under a bridge
Time to spend there
Has plants and people

Prepare to have fun
Little but cool
Awesome to be there
The best place
Takes time away from boredom
Every river is good but the South Platte River is great!

Reminder, go there!
Interesting place
Visiting is always available
Everyday is a good day at the South Platte River
Rolling, it doesn't matter, just go!
~Brayan P.




I Wish, I Promise
I promise, I promise to pick up the trash.
I promise, I promise to pick up everything.
I promise, I promise that you won't see anything, no piece of trash.

I wish, I wish that people could help.
I wish, I wish that people will think.
I need to help pick up the trash.
I wish, I wish that you could help me community, please!
~ Maria S.




South Platte River

Swimming there is cool
Out from the cold mountains comes the water
Under the bridge the kayakers go
Tourist go there
Has flowers planted there
People like to ride their bikes there
Lots of people walk by there
Alligators don't live there
Teachers took some students there
The people like to go swimming
Every time that I go
Rain makes the river grow
In the river there are fish
Very few people in Denver haven't heard about the river
Everyday people go there
Really cool things are there
~ Leonel L.

I Wish, I Promise

I only want one clean community.
We can all help.
It is so easy.
So please help.
Help our community.

I'm going to help our community.
People give me some help.
Respect we will give to our community.
Our place is going to be wonderful.
Meanwhile we are going to have fun.
I promise all these things.
See for yourself.
Everyone come.
~Ana A.

No comments: