June 2, 2009

Newlon Team Reflection

Newlon Elementary's SCORES team spent the spring season learning about homelessness and what they can do to help out. Jessica Johnson from the Gathering Place gave a presentation to the students where they learned what the Gathering Place accomplishes and how the students' contribution from their food drive will be used. The Newlon team also participated in the Shout! Day of Action, where they planted trees in Loveland, Colorado and visited the Community Garden on 1st Ave and Lowell st, to help weed out plots to prepare the soil for planting.

Please enjoy some individual reflections and pictures on what Newlon accomplished through their service-learning this spring.

A community is a large group of people that get along and works as a team. My community is exactly the same but to keep it nice we did lots to help. We picked up trash on Earth Day, which felt so good to do. Yet there was still more things to be done. We needed to help the homeless so we had a food drive at my school. Still that was not enough so my soccer team went to our local garden and pulled weeds. And that warmed my heart. I enjoyed working as a team with my community. All of our hard work will soon pay off. Now my community is a better place to be in.
~ Selina S.

The community that I am part of is America SCORES because we are all a team. We help each other when we need help and we cheer each other on. Not only that but we helped the poor by holding a food drive. We also helped plant trees and cleaned up a Community Garden. This is one of the best communities I have had!
~ Julio N.

A community is a wonderful place. We first picked up trash on Earth Day to make it clean, beautiful, and strong. We are also collecting food for the homeless. Then we went to a beautiful Community Garden and pulled out all the weeds. We all worked together as a wonderful team. I think that this will help our community grow big and strong. In my opinion, the best thing in the world is helping out our community.
~ Alondra S.

A community is a big place where everybody gets along. My community and I pulled weeds and cleaned up a garden. We did it because it is nice to help out. It made me feel so good that I helped somebody out. We also are doing a food drive for the homeless. Even if we can not go and give it to them, we can still imagine what there face will look like when they receive our gift. This is just the way my community is.
~ Kayley L.

A community is a thing that makes a big difference in your life. My soccer team helped our community by having a food drive to help the poor and my whole school helped out by bringing in canned food to school! Our team then went to plant trees and we helped Mother Earth because those trees will last 1,000 years. After that my team went to a garden and picked up all the trash so the garden won't be dirty. All in all, helping the community made a big difference. ~ Ray L.

No comments: